A day away from what was supposed to be the kickoff of Britney Spears' second Las Vegas residency, it's starting to sink in more than ever that we're going to have to wait much longer to see our Queen return to the stage.
Before we grieve over what could have been, let's establish some facts. Britney Spears single-handedly paved the way for the modern pop star to launch their own Sin City residencies. Yes, Celine, Cher and other LEGACY acts who've had decades-long careers have been in Vegas and did a damn fine job but in 2013, Spears became the youngest and first culturally relevant pop star to give Vegas a go, and she succeeded with a four year run of "Piece of Me," which eventually toured the east coast and overseas to record-breaking crowds.
Spears redefined the modern-day Vegas residency, soon after, other A-list acts like JLO, Gwen Stefani, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga and most recently, Christina Aguilera have all followed in Spears' groundbreaking footsteps. Credit where credit is due, Britney made the Vegas musical landscape what it is today.
Moving on, when Spears initially announced the cancellation of her new residency on January 4 due to an "indefinite work hiatus" to focus on family, my first instinct was to be upset, but I had to support my Queen, after all, she is human and I applaud her for putting family first. But with the now axed kick-off date approaching, I'm getting all sorts of FOMO on what could have been the greatest Britney Spears show to date, I mean, did y'all see the iconic rehearsal footage?!
"Domination" was set to showcase a more "urban" side to Spears' discography, rumored to have more of a hip-hop influence than her "Piece of Me" residency, Spears had fans (me) shook.
Rehearsal footage revealed fan-favorites like "Do You Wanna Come Over," "I'm a Slave 4 U" and even the surprisingly all-French vocal Glory track, "Coupure Électrique"! With nothing but our hopes and wishes, I'm going to dream up the ideal Britney: Domination setlist for the true stan, confirmed rehearsal songs aside. Though if I'm being honest here, she could switch between "Soda Pop" and "Dear Diary" for an entire show and I'd still be losing my shit in the front row but let's go...
Dream Setlist - Britney Spears: Domination
- "Oops...I Did It Again" - oops, another Vegas residency would be the play here. A hip-hop remix that begins with the signature song intro and her "mmmm yeah" bits... fans would be quaking!
- "(You Drive Me) Crazy" - a "Domination" remix that features the timeless "stop" breakdown.
- "What U See (Is What U Get)/"Don't Go Knockin' on My Door" (Medley) - These two should have been singles, if you think otherwise, fight me.
- "Stronger" - a "Domination" remix where the choreography would include the original chair from the video.
- "Circus" - there's only two types of people in the world, the ones that entertain and the ones that observe.
- "Overprotected"/"Piece of Me" (Mash-up Medley) - two of her most iconic "i've had enough" anthems
- "Gimme More" - It's Britney, bitch!
- "Me Against the Music" - a Domination remix that feels more like the original demo version she performed for the NFL kick-off special before Madonna jumped on the track.
- "Mannequin"/"(I Got That) Boom Boom"/"Bombastic Love"/"Boys" (Remix Medley) - we deserve to see the below choreography for "Mannequin" live in person, even if it was just a taste inside a medley.
- "I Wanna Go"/"Do you Wanna Come Over" - the neglected "Piece Of Me" residency hit "I Wanna Go" needs some love.
- "Toy Soldier" - hands down one of Britney's biggest missed opportunities for a chart-topper. "Toy Soldier" has NEVER been performed live and it makes me sick.
- "Freakshow"/"Get Naked (I Got a Plan)"/"Get Back" (Medley) - this would be a long ass medley because I would want her to do 3 minutes minimum for each of these tracks.
- "Womanizer" - the "Domination" remix for this hit would go off, I just know it.
- "Born To Make You Happy" - I'd die to see this legendary ballad come alive on stage.
- "I Run Away"/"Before The Goodbye"/"When I Found You"/"And Then We Kiss(Junkie XL Remix)"/"Perfume" Medley - these iconic ballads/mid-tempos are some of her best
- "Just Luv Me" - This Glory track should have been a worldwide smash, it's that good.
- "Unusual You" - any Britney fan who's a real Britney fan knows this song should have been a single.
- "Everytime" - a classic reimagined, a bit of a mid-tempo remix would do it justice for this Vegas residency
Interlude: Megamix Video - a clip with the beat for "Hold It Against Me" plays while a montage of Britney's best dance scenes are featured on the screen, a la the "Break The Ice" interlude form the "Circus" tour that I absolutely lost my shit too when I saw the show.
- "Hold It Against Me" - this smash was noticably absent from the "Piece of Me" residency and I think it's time to bring it baaaack!
- "Work Bitch" - quite possibly one of the biggest bangers in her discography, this 2013 sleeper hit reimagined for "Domination" would be perfect.
- "Big Fat Bass"/"Break The Ice"/"Up N' Down"/"Piece of Me"/"How I Roll"/"If I'm Dancing" (Medley) - I know this is asking for a lot of fire in a single medley but we're nearing the end folks, can't have full versions of all our favorites.
- "I'm A Slave 4 U" - this is a staple for any Britney show.
- "...Baby One More Time" - a revamped hip-hop version would slay.
- "Toxic" - let's fake end things with the expected hit that every local ever pretends is her best song.
- "Til The World Ends"/"Scream & Shout" - two bangers, one smash remix, let's do this!